[FoRK] Dealing with code trees

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 12 17:54:25 PDT 2009

For the few of you who still code...

I've been annoyed for a while with directory trees of code, especially
with Java's typically deep class path structure.  Neither command line
or GUI seems very fun, at least when I'm not using
Eclipse/Netbeans/Visual Studio/IntelliJ.  Until I get around to my new
GUI for this, I solved it to some extent with some simple Linux / Cygwin
as below.  What tools / process do you use to be efficient?  All IDE?
StarUML reverse engineering works well on Java, but seems to have narrow
capability for C++.

dj:
#!/bin/sh
#dj Directory Java (code)
LANGS='java|h|cpp|c[+][+]|php|py'
find $* -regextype posix-egrep -type f -iregex ".*[.](${LANGS})" -print

djc:
#!/bin/sh
#djc Directory Java (code) line Counted
LANGS='java|h|cpp|c[+][+]|php|py'
find $* -regextype posix-egrep -type f -iregex ".*[.](${LANGS})" -print0