[FoRK] Compensation for Oil-Exporting Countries

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 14 11:48:32 PDT 2009

Simon Wistow wrote:
> "Saudi Arabia is trying to enlist other oil-producing countries to
> support a provocative idea: if wealthy countries reduce their oil
> consumption to combat global warming, they should pay compensation to
> oil producers."

Wow, that takes balls!  Talk about a sense of entitlement!

The constant instances of behavior such as power grabs, greed, and
obvious blindness to reasonable views just leaves me with my mouth
hanging open at least once a week.  Things seem so much more overt and
blatant than they used to be.

If they want compensation, start joining the civilized world.  Not
civilized as in Mercedes, civilized as in teach your children how to act
in a 1st world civilization without 10% constantly declaring war on
everyone else with another 40-80% cheering them on.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/business/energy-environment/14oil.html?pagewanted=print
>
> Ignoring the arguments put forward in the article for the moment - is it
> in the West's best interests to make the Middle East poor again? Will
> that improve or worsen security and the geopolitical situation? (and
> again, ignoring the humanitarian aspect)
>
> Does what Matt Damon's character in Syriana says:
>
> "You want to know what the business world thinks of you? We think 100
> years ago you were living out here in tents in the desert chopping each
> other's heads off and that's exactly where you'll be in another 100"
>
> ring true?

If the increased organization and level of highly-misguided religious
fervor is any indication, Yes!  I'm sure that 900 years ago, Sharia
(etc.) was an improvement over barbarism.  Now, Sharia == barbarism and
nearly all alternatives are more civilized, healthy, and efficient.

Just a few weeks ago I watched a restored Lawrence of Arabia with a
friend in the old, elegant theater in San Jose.  Interesting to see how
things have changed.  And not.

Stephen