[FoRK] GWave and the passing of the torch....

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Oct 17 16:32:43 PDT 2009

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> You can't actually upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Literally. The only way you can get there is to, first, upgrade to Vista and then upgrade to Win7. Otherwise it's a clean install. That's why I recommended to wait until it's time for a new computer ... buy it with Win7 on it.
>
>  ...ken...

At least the educational Win7 is an "upgrade" package.  However, in true
Microsoft form, this apparently has a completely different meaning than
it did for prior windows versions.  For XP (and I think Vista), an
"upgrade" version was capable of being installed on a prior OS, and in
fact required it.  An OEM version of Vista would install on a clean hard
drive, however there was no upgrade capability.  However, you were stuck
with the specific version of Vista you had purchased, 32-bit or 64-bit
for instance.  A full retail Vista Ultimate would allow you to install
any of the Vista versions, 32-bit or 64-bit, as needed.

With Win7, "upgrade" means that it can "upgrade" an installed system,
however they have a euphemism for operating systems that cannot be
upgraded directly, something like "advanced install".  Apparently, the
"Windows 7 Upgrade" is not just an upgrade, but a completely version of
the OS...  Which is smart if they want any hope of people "upgrading"
from Linux or OS X.