[FoRK] Ad Age

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 19 08:27:45 PDT 2009

geege schuman wrote:
> http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=139760
>
> <In spite of negative trends, the media industry is expected to be the
> third-fastest-growing economic sector over the next five years, after mining
> and construction. Almost none of that growth is forecast to come from
> shrinking traditional media.>
>
> Thank you, social media.  (Good article - good comments - angst-ridden poem
> (is there really any other kind?))
>
> Geege

See "The Answer Factory" in the current Wired 17.11, not yet online...
"A fiendishly clever startup knows what we are Googling - then churns
out thousands of cheap videos and articles to meet our every whim and
wish.  Why the future of online content is fast, disposable, and
profitable as hell."

All about Demand Media.  http://www.demandmedia.com/

"This year, the privately held Demand is expected to bring in about $200
million in revenue; its most recent round of financing by blue-chip
investors valued the company at $1 billion."  They follow a guy who gets
paid about $20/video and has filmed over 40,000 videos for them already.

Very interesting and almost scary.  But potentially cool too.

Stephen