[FoRK] Ad Age

HK Pang hkpang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 08:49:54 PDT 2009

Sort of on a related topic.. does anyone know if any media company is
entitled to use derived data to determine the user's undisclosed
information?

While on facebook, my wife was prompt with this question "description
of your activity is confusing, should it be a) xxx modified his
profile or b) xxx modified her profile".  Obviously, if she answered
b, advertisers can determine her gender even through she specifically
chose not to disclose it in her facebook profile.

So, can facebook legally pass this piece of info to advertisers?