[FoRK] Adverse selection in insurance

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Oct 19 09:54:29 PDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:38 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> No one can make the argument that socialized medicine coexists with
> continued strong biomedical R&D investment because the empirical
> evidence very strongly points in the opposite direction.

I should add that even to the extent there is government R&D funding,
which is a pretty small fraction of the total pie, that government R&D
funding seems to be motivated at least in part by the commercial
lobby.  As in, government biomedical R&D funding exists primarily to
deliver money to important constituents, not to do biomedical R&D for
its own sake. If we eliminate or reduce the well-connected
constituents pushing for government R&D funding, it follows that this
will no longer be a funding priority.

This probably has a lot to do with why EU biomedical R&D funding by
governments is paltry compared to US government biomedical R&D funding.