[FoRK] Ad Age

Bill Humphries whump at mac.com
Mon Oct 19 20:09:06 PDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2009, at 8:49 AM, HK Pang wrote:
>
>> So, can facebook legally pass this piece of info to advertisers?
>
> In the US, yes.

Let me clarify. Facebook can go to its inventory of ads and say, show
an ad targeted for a 45 yo married, heterosexual, white woman living
in 94011 + other refinements. The advertiser buys impressions and
tells Facebook who they want to target. The advertiser may not be as
interested in the identity of who's getting the impression, as they
are in getting the impression in front of what they consider the niche.

I don't know what info they pass back up on impressions and
clickthroughs.

But facebook's selling point is highly targeted profile ad exposure,
so the less info you give them, the less valuable you are to them as a
pair of eyeballs, hence the dunning to give up more info like gender
presentation.

However, as my example earlier points out, the targeting can be biased
by stereotypes about gender.

-- whump