[FoRK] Ad Age

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Mon Oct 19 21:30:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Bill Humphries <whump at mac.com> wrote:

> Let me clarify. Facebook can go to its inventory of ads and say, show an ad
> targeted for a 45 yo married, heterosexual, white woman living in 94011 +
> other refinements. The advertiser buys impressions and tells Facebook who
> they want to target. The advertiser may not be as interested in the identity
> of who's getting the impression, as they are in getting the impression in
> front of what they consider the niche.
>
> I don't know what info they pass back up on impressions and clickthroughs.

Theoretically, what you describe is possible, however, when I attempted
something like this - looking for iPhone owners who are into fishing and
related sports, their system completely failed me.

Essentially all they provide is a keyword search on their mound of data.
Your "45 yo married, heterosexual, white woman living in 94011 + other
refinements." targeting isnt currently possible using their system.