[FoRK] Redox battery for EVs is recharged in minutes through electrolyte exchange

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Oct 22 01:24:14 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 05:52:23PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Cool.  As long as we don't get exploding / lightning-capable liquid at
> the GAS STATION.

I have this neat idea. Why not taking liquid methanol, which
has half the energy density of diesel/gasoline, and use this
as one electrode in a redox pair, the other being air. You
don't have to carry the oxidant, and you lose mass as one
electrode is consumed, since you vent the reaction products
(water and CO2) into air. I think I will call it a "fuel cell".
And since it's running with straight methanol, I'll call
it a "direct methanol fuel cell" or DMFC. Do you think I can
patent this?