[FoRK] Redox battery for EVs is recharged in minutes through electrolyte exchange

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Oct 22 02:07:27 PDT 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 05:52:23PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> Cool.  As long as we don't get exploding / lightning-capable liquid at
>> the GAS STATION.
>>

> I have this neat idea. Why not taking liquid methanol, which
> has half the energy density of diesel/gasoline, and use this
> as one electrode in a redox pair, the other being air. You
> don't have to carry the oxidant, and you lose mass as one
> electrode is consumed, since you vent the reaction products
> (water and CO2) into air. I think I will call it a "fuel cell".
> And since it's running with straight methanol, I'll call
> it a "direct methanol fuel cell" or DMFC. Do you think I can
> patent this?

You didn't list the other key component on your patent application: What
is this boxed marked "MOH [1]" where electricity goes in at the "gas"
station and methanol comes out?

One of the main problems with an all-electric vehicle is fast charging,
or charging at all.  Swapping out a liquid battery is clever, if you can
get it to work.  Any fuel cell fuel is great if you can make it and get
it to "gas" stations more efficiently than petrol.

[This spot for a wild and crazy idea.]:
Create tracking intense light projecting zones on streets, highways, and
especially hills.  Use grates, mirrors, whatever.  As photo-rechargeable
cars drive over the charging zones, focused, high intensity light
illuminates just the receptors on the bottom of cars.  The intense pulse
is captured by multi-layer / fractal / nano receivers and the impulse is
stored in capacitor banks that slowly drain into the batteries /
wheels.  Presto: an optical (or microwave, or even inductive) "third
rail".  Probable power scale mismatch, probably safety issues...

[1] MOH = Magic occurs here.

sdw