[FoRK] Redox battery for EVs is recharged in minutes through electrolyte exchange

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Oct 22 18:53:41 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> [This spot for a wild and crazy idea.]:
> Create tracking intense light projecting zones on streets, highways, and
> especially hills.  Use grates, mirrors, whatever.  As photo-rechargeable
> cars drive over the charging zones, focused, high intensity light
> illuminates just the receptors on the bottom of cars.  The intense pulse is
> captured by multi-layer / fractal / nano receivers and the impulse is stored
> in capacitor banks that slowly drain into the batteries / wheels.  Presto:
> an optical (or microwave, or even inductive) "third rail".  Probable power
> scale mismatch, probably safety issues...

Dude, you just gave me a brilliant idea.

Instead of an optical energy transfer system, you could have a simple
mechanical energy transfer system.

Lets say that in the center of each lane is a slot, and under the slot is a
cable moving in the direction the vehicle is travelling. To transfer kinetic
energy to the vehicle, the vehicle merely couples itself to the cable. Short
term energy storage for travelling off the grid is achieved by a kinetic
rolling mass energy system.

Advantage of this approach is that it uses no new technology at all, and no
fuel or motor is required on the vehicle, enabling mass and cost reductions
barely imaginable to the current automotive industry.

I estimate that switching to this remarkable new mode of transportation
could save anywhere from 10 - 90% of the United State's oil consumption in
the transport sector.