[FoRK] Redox battery for EVs is recharged in minutes, through electrolyte exchange

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Oct 22 19:12:10 PDT 2009

Marty Halvorson wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
> > [This spot for a wild and crazy idea.]:
> > Create tracking intense light projecting zones on streets,
> > highways, and especially hills.  Use grates, mirrors,
> > whatever.  As photo-rechargeable cars drive over the
> > charging zones, focused, high intensity light illuminates
> > just the receptors on the bottom of cars.
>
> And all the astronomers, especially the backyard type, will be very
> pissed off because of the light pollution this would cause.  Have you
> ever tried looking at the sky in the vicinity of movie opening
> searchlights?  It's pretty much impossible to see any stars.
>
> Not to belittle the problem of people who drive on muddy roads.  Like
> me these past few days.

There will be some light pollution if visible light is used, however the
phrase "just the receptors on the bottom" was intended to give the idea
that spilled light would be minimized.  Shine a tight beam up through a
grating into a receiver 12 inches from the roadway, black the area
around that, black everything in and around the grated area and very
little light would make both bounces and escape from under the vehicle.
You'd be down to pretty much lateral diffusion from dust.

You just turn off the whole system in rain.  Snow's less of an issue.
There are many areas, like much of California 9 months of the year,
where there are no muddy roads at all.

In the end, probably not completely feasible or worth doing, but it is
at least somewhat feasible.

In thinking through the induction possibilities, I'm uncomfortable with
that too close to passengers or cabin electronics.  Perhaps a panel that
extends in front of the vehicle would work, automatically retracting at
low speeds.  The induction would have to have 3 opposing sections,
pos/neg/pos, so that there is no net vertical force.  If you combined
inductive force, light (maybe daytime only?), and microwave going into
the same charging panel, perhaps you could boost the energy delivery
quite a bit.

If you could get the energy density high enough to make any difference,
there are some attractive things about it.  A single charging strip
could give a boost to thousands of vehicles per day.  Strategically
placing them could provide enough power to obviate any charging step.
Popular stop light lanes, toll plazas, hills, highway entrances.  A
cheaper trickle version could be used in parking spaces to avoid
charging hookups.

sdw