[FoRK] Q re: ConceptNet (also FluidDB)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Oct 23 11:45:41 PDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> There was a commercial database product with a very nice Java-based
> GUI that was essentially an RDF-graph based database.  It was not
> hard to understand or use.  Unfortunately, they took the wrong
> product path.  I had several conversations with the founder.  He
> just deviate from his particular viewpoint and he didn't know
> anything about RDF / semantic ideas.
>
> Anyway, yes, that is true now, however I don't think it is
> necessarily true.  We just need the equivalent of a spreadsheet
> application to make it accessible.  I'm thinking about it, when I
> can...

Product design is a secondary problem.

For real-world semantic/RDF graphs, the operating rule of thumb is
that current technologies become useless at around 100k nodes for lack
of scalability. That is single-workstation in-memory scale. There are
a number of companies offering semantic graph engines and customers
insensitive to interface with large buckets of cash for a decent graph
database but no one is crossing that chasm.

>> I've long wondered if there is a relationship between Braess'
>> Paradox and pruning algorithms for graph-like computational models
>> but am too busy/lazy to spend much time thinking about it.
>
> Seems like a different thing to me...  Although I wouldn't be
> surprised if there is some analog.

You almost never see these two things together. In the few cases where
I have, I always have the nagging feeling that I am looking at
separate manifestations of some common principle we haven't figured
out. Like I said, idle speculation.