[FoRK] Q re: ConceptNet (also FluidDB)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Oct 23 14:46:00 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Scalability is an issue.  On the other hand, most scalability issues
> have a solution.  Certainly simple, flat triple stores aren't going
> to do it.  I introduced chunkiness to one of my designs (it had
> temporal versioning.)  Other ideas include certain kinds of
> clustering, denormalization-like constructs, etc.
>
> How would you characterize the scalability problems that you have
> seen?  What fundamental issue was involved?

To be clear, I've never used the various triple stores (of which there
are myriad designs) out there. I do work with people for whom it is an
important problem.

The fundamental issue is dynamic analytic performance at non-trivial
scales. One could say something similar about all databases, for very
similar technical reasons, but the limitations manifest much earlier
in graph databases.