[FoRK] They Laughed at Me When I Said it

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri Oct 23 15:42:46 PDT 2009

Jeff Bone wrote on 10/23/2009 11:19 AM:
> The eco-pawprint of a pet dog is twice that of a 4.6-litre Land Cruiser
> driven 10,000 kilometres a year, researchers have found.

Ahh, that's the thing isn't it. Didn't the energy your dog uses to run
around come from under the ground to be spewed into the air, or was it
there already.

A wild wolf is carbon and energy neutral. So is a aboriginal human
living in the Amazon.

But your atoms and bits are probably all dug up. Coal power plants, fuel
and chemicals dumped on the food and diesel to transport it. Your Pet's
food, house, and collar are all oil based too.

So the article is wrong, the proper phrasing is... Save the planet, die
and seal the carbon deep underground.

We're way way past the tipping point. Unless we TOMORROW stop all fossil
fuel use and humans do nothing but work 24/7 for the next 100 years
sequestering carbon back into the ground, this planet is completely dead
as far as us oxygen<->CO2 cycle lifeforms are concerned. Maybe that
wouldn't even help.

Someone better get their ass in gear on establishing an off planet
colony soon, before the wars knock the tech level back down below what
we need to get off planet.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/