[FoRK] Drudge vs. USD

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat Oct 24 09:26:21 PDT 2009

This is *awesome.*  I would *love* to see more folks doing more of
this (very simple) type of analysis!

   http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2009/10/matt_drudge_vs.html

I call this sort of thing --- the kind of thing that you can do in
just a few minutes with R and some other tools, if you've got usable
data --- "scratch" analysis.  It's a lot like back-of-the-envelope
engineering or Fermi estimation;  not something to be considered
comprehensive / definitive / authoritative, but enough to draw some
tentative conclusions.  (FWIW, about a half-hour of futzing with R and
some publicly-available time series data enabled me to *finally*
convince some climate-change denier family members that *at least*
there was a real warming trend and that there was *at least* a
significant correlation between industrialization and this warming
trend.)

(One of the projects I've long pondered but will probably never get to
is doing some kind of automatic conversational network and topic model
(LSA plus a few other "views" of the data) over the history of FoRK
and then attempting some scratch analysis on it.  The first part's
enough of a "research" topic that I'll probably never get over the
hump on it, pretty low on my priority list;  would be interesting,
though.)

More like this!

jb