[FoRK] [zfs-discuss] Apple cans ZFS project

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 26 08:41:19 PDT 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Well, OS X just lost a lot of lustre. FreeBSD starts looking
> better & better ;)

There is a very good argument that BTRFS is much better than ZFS.
Likely, that is one major reason Apple dropped ZFS.  The licensing
friction on ZFS has killed it.  Linux already is including BTRFS,
although I think you still have to go manual to get root booting from
it.  Ubuntu 9.10, released this week, seems to include it although it is
still beta.

BTRFS is pronounced "Butter Filesystem"...  Why not "Better Filesystem"??

http://friendfeed.com/imabonehead/4578fb51/b-trees-shadowing-and-clones-btree_tos-pdf
https://www.usenix.org/events/lsf07/tech/rodeh.pdf
http://lwn.net/Articles/342892/
http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_design