[FoRK] peak coal

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 27 13:19:13 PDT 2009

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> > > http://www.pnas.org/content/103/5/1209.full
> > >

> > Thanks for that. They did a good job of using plain
> language without detracting from the technical credibility.
>
> I don't see any mention of ore richness going down
> versus energy used for extraction going up. Including
> EROEI for energy extraction itself, of course.

That would have contributed nothing to their paper. Not that those issues are pointless. They are, indeed, an important part of the larger issue. They just weren't the point of the paper.

And therein lies part of the problem of wider understanding of the issue of planetary despoilation. To do such detailed analysis necessarily requires a focus. There are many such focused efforts going on. But it requires someone with a more holistic view to, then, take these individual focused efforts and piece them together into chapters to see what sort of story they add up to. Or if they add up to anything at all.

 ...ken...