[FoRK] Does economics violate the laws of physics?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 29 10:56:12 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 10/29/09, Russell Turpin <russell.turpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Ken
> Ganshirt @ Yahoo
> <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
> > It's encouraging that they "get" that energy is
> > different and they recognize that
> > other nonrenewable resources might have a similar
> > attribute (potential for
> > depletion to zero, or so low as to be no longer
> > useful). But I'm still not sure
> > they get the real problem with any form of current
> > economics:
> >
> >   It's Population, Stupid! It's all about Carrying
> > Capacity.
>
> Economic growth in the past has enabled an increase in
> carrying capacity.

It's statements like that which make me think there's something fundamental I'm not getting. How can economic growth increase carrying capacity?

The measurement for economic "growth" is essentially a measure of consumption.

So how does increasing consumption increase planetary carrying capacity? It's a counterintuitive concept that my brain doesn't seem able to grasp. What's the missing piece?

 ...ken...