[FoRK] Does economics violate the laws of physics?

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:10:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
<ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> It's statements like that which make me think there's something fundamental
> I'm not getting. How can economic growth increase carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity living as hunters and gatherers is different from
carrying capacity with the produce from primitive agriculture, which
is different from carrying capacity with the produce from modern
agriculture. I agree there's a limit to how much technology can
increase carrying capacity. But economic growth doesn't have to be
bent to increasing the population.

> The measurement for economic "growth" is essentially a measure of consumption.

Consumption requires production. Even hunters and gatherers have to
hunt and gather.