[FoRK] No longer about ; -) Re: Large changes in fiscal policy: taxes versus spending

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Fri Oct 30 18:47:05 PDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Finally, it doesn't take break-through propulsion technology to move
> relatively small things without bulky meat-life support systems and
> resources around at speeds sufficient to get the propagation wave
> going*, even though such breakthroughs *could* potentially occur
> (and quicker) with better-than-human intelligence recursively
> improving itself while working the problem.

One other bit re:  rates-of-change and attendant "laws," limit
processes, propulsion technology, and space travel...

There was some paper or other write-up a few years back that
demonstrated that, given various assumptions about the course of
possible future improvements in propulsion technology, there was a
limit of distance-to-travel (or rather time to get there given your
present propulsion technology) beyond which it made more sense to wait
for better tech than to get underway now, as you were likely to be
overtaken en route by waves of folks that left successively earlier.
IIRC the limit (given a lot of iffy assumptions) was --- don't leave
on journeys likely to take > 50 years with your present tech.  (I.e.,
it sort of killed the generation ship idea, which always seemed stupid
to me anyway.)

Anyone have any recollection of (or, better, a pointer to) the source
material I'm referring to?

jb