[FoRK] Carrying Capacity Tangent

Michael Cummins michael at i-magery.com
Sat Oct 31 09:04:53 PDT 2009

I saw this Economist.com link on InstaPundit today, it was tangentially
related to the current discussion on carrying capacity, so I thought I'd
throw it in here:

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14744915&fsrc=rss

"As industrialisation swept through what is now the developed world,
fertility fell sharply, first in France, then in Britain, then throughout
Europe and America. When people got richer, families got smaller; and as
families got smaller, people got richer.

Now, something similar is happening in developing countries. Fertility is
falling and families are shrinking in places- such as Brazil, Indonesia, and
even parts of India-that people think of as teeming with children. As our
briefing shows, the fertility rate of half the world is now 2.1 or less-the
magic number that is consistent with a stable population and is usually
called "the replacement rate of fertility". Sometime between 2020 and 2050
the world's fertility rate will fall below the global replacement rate."