[FoRK] Kling vs. Hanson, Kurzweil, and GAI (sort of)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 1 16:26:27 PST 2009

--- On Sun, 11/1/09, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> ... If everyone is convinced it can't happen, then it won't.  As long
>  as enough smart people are optimistic and curious, it will make
>  progress.  ...  That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying to
>  contribute to the AGI dream.

Here's the problem I have. I think we should do it all. But too many of the Powers That Be -- those who have the power but probably not the knowledge or interest -- have binary minds. It's either This or That, not both. That's not to say they all see only in black and white. But sufficient of our politicians and other power brokers do to make it problematic.

I think we still need to work seriously on managing the generation ship better. But that does not, nor should it, preclude working on other neat stuff. Especially if it's fun.

If we're going to crash, we should at least enjoy the ride even as we try to find the brakes or how to deploy the wings.  :-)

        ...ken...