[FoRK] Death Panels

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Fri Nov 6 10:47:22 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 01:35:57PM -0500, geege schuman said:
> As I've had it explained to me, much older people have some immunity to H1N1
> as they have been exposed to it, whereas younger folks have none.

There's also, as I understand it, the fact that the reason why H1N1 is
dangerous is that, whilst it's not as virulent or contagious as other
strains of flu, it causes a cytokine storm (auto immune reaction) and is
therefore, unusually, more dangerous for those with healthy immune
systems and less dangerous for those with weakened immune systems (such
as the elderly and the very young)

Although

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

states

"It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the
deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a
disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy
immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset.
Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the
probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[6]
Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as
well.[7] Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in
the 2009 swine flu outbreak has led to speculation that cytokine storms
could be responsible for these deaths.[8] However, the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have indicated that symptoms
reported from this strain so far are similar to those of normal seasonal
flu,[9] with the CDC stating that there is "insufficient information to
date about clinical complications of this variant of swine-origin
influenza A (H1N1) virus infection."[9]"