[FoRK] Death Panels

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 10:47:31 PST 2009

Marty Halvorson wrote:
> It would appear that death panels are already in place.  If you're
> old, you can't get the H1N1 vaccine because the CDC Guidelines for
> H1N1 don't include old folks.  But!  The seasonal vaccine you should
> get if you're old.  Seems that somebody somewhere has decided that old
> folks can die from H1N1.  Plus, if you work on Wall Street then you're
> to valuable to not get the vaccine.
>
> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jemnWB5veRnM9evI2vqkMks9HwkwD9BPM93G0
>
> " ... Dr. William Schaffner, a flu expert at Vanderbilt University,
> said allocation of limited vaccine is tricky. CDC guidelines provide a
> list of patients who should be at the front of the line: children and
> young people through age 24, people caring for infants under 6 months,
> pregnant women, health care workers, and adults with health conditions
> such as asthma and diabetes."
If there is not enough vaccine to go around, this looks like the right
priority to me.  School age children are disease vectors.  I've also
heard that children appear to have much less immunity to H1N1 than older
people (who may have been exposed to something similar earlier in
life).   Care givers? check, Pregnant women? check, Health care workers?
check adults with complicating factors? check.  Sounds perfectly
reasonable to me.

Bill