[FoRK] Brain mapping and the connectome

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 7 09:48:11 PST 2009

I guess I just still don't buy that copying a (potentially incomplete) wiring diagram and flipping a switch is going to result in the reproduction of human intelligence. That assumes all the intelligence is inherent in the hardware. Worse, it seems to assume that you'll get human intelligence from that mechanical hardware.

Please keep in mind that I'm viewing this in the context of Option 3: using technology to propogate your wavefront of *human* intelligence out into the universe. And doing it in advance of the human species destroying Generation Ship Earth.

If I view it in the context of climbing Everest (simply because it's there), the challenge of constructing "machine" intelligence holds only academic interest. Hey, I'm a techy so anything related to technology holds some interest for me. But I'm more passionate about my continued quest to improve my golf swing.

Just for the record, so you won't misunderstand the first paragraph above, I'm not religious. I'm not an atheist; I'm an anti-theist.

        ...ken...