[FoRK] Our dispersed, not distributed, computing future

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 7 17:03:29 PST 2009

--- On Sat, 11/7/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

>  ... explicitly latency-aware software with
> appropriate failure modes, ...

With respect to "connections", if the software is latency-aware, do you really mean "failure modes"? Or is that shorthand for features that provide tolerance for temporary "connection loss"? Just part of the latency-awareness?

hmmm.... I suppose even in a dispersed environment there will still be potential for fatal failures of the "connection". The software just needs to have a different understanding of what constitutes evidence of actual failure?

What do you envision is the new criteria for determining connection "failure"? The current transaction loses relevance after some [timeout] period? Etc?

 ...ken...