[FoRK] [NYT] Measuring Excess: Bugatti Veyron

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Mon Nov 9 09:07:35 PST 2009

>  Yet I might argue that any $2 million car should be powered by
> hydrogen, electricity - even nuclear fusion - not a gas engine
> blown up to overkill proportions. The Bugatti isn't the future of
> the fast car; it's the past writ in extra-large type.

> APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language
> of the future for the programming techniques of the past: it
> creates a new generation of coding bums.

Is this Bugatti the APL of the automotive world, or is APL the Veyron
of programming languages?

But if we really want to search for the past writ in extra-large
type, check out the Keeneland yearling sale: according to the
records, someone dropped close to 2,1m USD on a colt by Storm Cat out
of Fleet Indian.  Hip #342, brown, and producing — on average — a
bit over 1 hp.

-Dave