[FoRK] Scary study on how lack of IPOs is harming US economy

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Nov 9 11:57:14 PST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> and reinstating the Glass-Steagal provision that prohibits bank
> holding companies from owning other financial companies  (provision
> was repealed on November 12, 1999, by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act)

I don't buy the Glass-Steagal argument.  Even if one ignores the
reasonable argument that the Glass-Steagal provision is of dubious
value and possibly counter-productive, we are still left with the fact
that many other industrialized countries have no equivalent
provision.  The empirical data alone makes the correlation with
financial market stability look spurious.