[FoRK] why Dilbert is doomed

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 10 02:03:29 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 12:56:49PM -0800, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Exactly.  How about A) concentrating on ideas and skills to reach much
> better efficiencies and B) inshoring since there is plenty of cheap land

I recommend dumping every resource you have into achieving sustainability
in energy, fuels and food section. This is both a hard task, will need
a lot of manual labor and produce exportable technology and culture to
developing countries who're currently screwing themselves and us all. Win/win.

> and potentially cheap labor right here in the US.  It seems that many

The cheap labor part is a trap. You can't neither compete with
sweatshops nor robots, so if people can't occupy themselves you
have to pay them to stay home.

> companies are much more ready to employ people around the world than a
> couple states over.  There is some major mental disconnect there.
> We have to find creative ways to compete, expand, invent new directions,
> etc.  We may also want to create zones where living expenses are
> competitive to some extent  with those overseas locations.  This should
> not be impossible.

You can't compete by price alone. Not with countries who are cutting
corners everywhere.