[FoRK] Brain mapping and the connectome

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 10 06:04:54 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 09:48:11AM -0800, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> I guess I just still don't buy that copying a (potentially
> incomplete) wiring diagram and flipping a switch is going

It's about as complete as looking at Google Earth, and thinking
that the pixel map is an accurate representation of the city.
So that pixel blob could be a house. Can you read what's
in the shelves in the library, assuming that there is a library?

> to result in the reproduction of human intelligence. That
> assumes all the intelligence is inherent in the hardware.

Of course it's in the hardware. Where else is it supposed
to be?

> Worse, it seems to assume that you'll get human intelligence
> from that mechanical hardware.

You seem to assume that you can get human intelligence
from a blob of organic tissue between our ears. Now that
is a far more absurd proposition, if you think of it.

> Please keep in mind that I'm viewing this in the context
> of Option 3: using technology to propogate your wavefront
> of *human* intelligence out into the universe. And doing

You won't get very far, I'm afraid. In fact, how things
roll right now I doubt there will be sustainable pockets
of people within a couple of lightminutes when it all blows
up to high heavens.

> it in advance of the human species destroying Generation Ship Earth.
>
> If I view it in the context of climbing Everest (simply
> because it's there), the challenge of constructing "machine"
> intelligence holds only academic interest. Hey, I'm a

I disagree, on our own we're stuck. We need much better
tools, and control of things on the physical layer.
People don't scale.