[FoRK] Brain mapping and the connectome

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 10 07:43:56 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 04:27:37PM -0800, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm much more selfish than you. If we're going
> to destroy the planet in the search for and creation of an
> analog to send out into the universe in place of our meat,
> if it's not essentially "us" I'm not interested.

Why are you so attached to your current instantiation? Is
it the particular user experience? You can keep the user
experience, if that's what you want. (I personally would
find that terribly restricting even on the middle run,
though that can also be changed, should that become
necessary).

> I'm okay with virtual humanity. But if our surrogate
> is just a faster computer, what's the point? It's really

If people are like computers and computers are like people,
where's the difference? If you can't beat'em, join'em.

> no more significant than the last person breathing putting
> a big shiny plaque on top of the tallest pile of garbage
> to show we were here.

There's no point in visiting places if you don't intend to
set up shop there.