[FoRK] Brain mapping and the connectome

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 10 10:45:19 PST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/10/09, Damien Morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo
> <ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

> > So, even if we ultimately map the hardware and the
> wiring and the electrical and chemical flows and figure out
> their what/where/when/why and manage to construct something
> that we think ought to work, when we flip the On switch will
> it have some useful equivalent to our self-awareness and
> autonomy? Have we made similar progress along those lines?
>

> You might have to baby it along while it boots up. Could
> take a few years to boot up to the point of some kind of
> conversation.

I have twin 13-month old grandsons so I get the boot up part. I guess the "good" thing about such a long boot period with machine intelligence is that it might not object as loudly if it's bolted down in one location. Even at 13 months, the twins are already bright enough to know they cause the most havoc if they take off in opposite directions. That's the hazard of having self-propulsion and autonomy so early in the boot process.

 ...ken...