[FoRK] Microsoft patents 'sudo'

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Thu Nov 12 11:54:44 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:41:26PM -0600, mdw at martinwills.com said:
> Checkout this article.
>
> http://gizmodo.com/5402796/microsoft-patents-the-sudo-command

I took a quick look at this yesterday and my impression was:

* They didn't patent sudo, they even mention sudo in the prior art
  section of the application.

* What they actually patented was a gui (i.e unlike sudo) which allows
  you to choose the user with just-sufficent-enough priviledges to do
  the task you want (i.e very unlike sudo's immediate dropping to root
  privs)

Now, I'm not defending software patents or whether this is a
sufficient innovation to deserve a patent or whether there even exists
prior art for something like this (didn't BBEdit have something similar)
but knee jerk hysteria of the "OMG Micro$s0ft patented sudo LULZ
!111!!!!1111" doesn't help either.

You know what I'd like - when I'm editing some file and then realise
that I don't have permissions to save it I'd like to be able to swallow
the current process in sudo so that I can can continue.