[FoRK] Microsoft patents 'sudo'

Lawnun lawnun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:56:37 PST 2009

As at least one commenter notes:

" ... The patent has nothing to do with patenting sudo, and in fact it's
cited as previous work.

It's about a system that automatically detects that a security elevation is
required, then offers to elevate by offering a list of accounts that have
the required rights.

It's about automatically detecting the permission problem and then offering
other accounts. None of which sudo does. "

On the upshot, I did almost snort coffee out my nose when I read the last
sentence:

"Groklaw has an explanation of the history of sudo and details about the
patent, but it all boils down to this: Someone at the US Patent Office
must've been snoozing when they approved this patent application. Either
that or the command worked on a person."