[FoRK] Programming languages - _why not Ruby?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Thu Nov 12 12:43:08 PST 2009

Hi Jeff,

On Nov 12, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Language designers in general:  You are IN THE WAY.  Go here:
>
>  http://www.rebol.com/oneliners.html
>
> ...then do us all a favor and don't resist the urge to fall on that wakizashi when your shame overcomes you.

Help me out here.  From what I can see, this is less about language designers needing to solve a bunch of random individual cases than about having:

a) Clean syntax

b) Rich basic datatypes

c) Functional operations

d) Metaprogramming

I don't see anything on that list that, e.g., would be all that difficult to do in Ruby, a l a:

http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz113.html

although some of them would require additional libraries -- which is perhaps why you alluded to Shoes:

http://shoes.heroku.com/

Am I missing your point?

-- Ernie P.