[FoRK] Programming languages, operating systems, despair and anger

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 12 13:14:16 PST 2009

--- On Thu, 11/12/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> J.H.C, folks, it's nearly 2010.  Let's get a few
> things straight:
>
>   - most programming involves schlepping a few but
> complex data types between different string representations
>   - programmers have become plumbers and
> documentation-archaeologists mostly, which is sad and
> uninteresting
>   - programming languages are for *programmers* ---
> not compilers and compiler-writers
>   - until you make the everyday, "simple" things
> simple, it will continue to be a dark art practiced by fewer
> and fewer
> .... etc. ...

About here I'm starting to think, He's talking about BASIC. ..... Naw, can't be. He's w-a-y too young...

> SIMPLE GUI PROGRAMMING!  Remember BASIC?
> Logo?  Zero to graphics in three minutes, max.
> How the hell are kids supposed to learn to program these
> days? ...

I began my second professional life as a programmer (inhouse development at a telco). That was ... you don't want to know. I gave up looking at programming languages somewhere between C++ and Java. In my opinion none of them did a much better job in making a programer's life easier than COBOL.

Don't go off the deep end, folks. That's NOT an endorsement of COBOL.

I'm just sayin'.

It doesn't sound like it's improved much in the intervening couple of decades.

> Somebody do something about this, before I LOSE MY FUCKING
> MIND!?!?!

Ummm.... Sounds like it's way too late.

     ...ken...