[FoRK] spdy

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Nov 12 13:55:36 PST 2009

Benjamin Black wrote:
> Lucas Gonze wrote:
>
>> http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper
>>
>> This kind of proposal is usually wildly offbase, but this looks well conceived.
>> It reminds me of first encountering HTTP-NG.
>>

> In what has become Google SOP, they have neglected some obvious prior
> art, intentionally or out of ignorance.  BEEP covered a lot of this
> ground, whether it came to the right answers or not.
>
> http://beepcore.org/

I was thinking the same thing.  I always liked BEEP (originally BXXP),
and have used it in projects.
The other reinvention of the wheel is the AMQP work.

Still, each new attempt pushes things forward.  I'm glad someone finally
put the work into creating a working browser / web server combination.
I've been wanting this for a while.  Perhaps their code will be a
convenient test bed.  In addition to the many-item-download problem, it
would be great to have an automatic peer-to-peer download mechanism to
make all web sites scalable.  It could be protected via Merkle trees and
use bittorrent or better methods.

Related concepts include W3C EXI "Efficient XML Interchange" (i.e.
binary), Google Protocol Buffers, and GDATA.

I agree with what is in EXI, however I have some additional ideas to
avoid parsing, support deltas, and have sharable schema
representations.  Additionally, I've specified the design of a binary
superset of RDF for processing and size efficiency.  Back to that soon,
as I'll need it shortly.

Stephen