[FoRK] New UNIX shell Re: Programming lang etc

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Nov 13 10:27:36 PST 2009

Hi Jeff,

On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:42 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:
> my ultimate aim has always been a "new" shell language, something akin to PowerShell nee Monad (with little bits of es, fish, and the Inferno shell thrown in) --- something that would cover the 80% of the use-cases that I tend to run into in my everyday programming.  (I.e., you aren't going to want to write machine learning stuff in this, but data schlepping -- you bet.)  Cf. previous rants about the need for a new UNIX shell.

I've wondered about that too.  One of the key syntactic issues I kept stumbling on was the difference between shell -- where tokens are strings (or rather, symbols) by default -- and every other (programming) language where they tend to be "variables" by default.

It sounds like you're preference was to start with a data language, where everything is a string, which implies using a sigil for variables.  Is that accurate?

-enp