[FoRK] Programming languages, operating systems, despair and anger

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:57:28 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> Both languages and operating systems have *obviously* failed to keep pace
> with the increasingly-rich data, forms of interaction, and diversity and
> ubiquity of devices we all swim within these days.  I'm not sure old-timer
> "been there, done that, had that flame war 30 years ago about goto"
> arguments are going to help jar us out of the cul-de-sac.

I think the 450 pound elephant in the room is this, why are we even
doing programming anymore. As you say, with multi core nth dimensional
aspects on the table i think it is safe to say the meatbags have  a
class issue, as in we do not have the right stuff to do what needs
doing well enough consistently enough and with a steady ramp up of
iterative betterment to support the comming Multilarity(tm). What we
seem to do well is the same stuff over and over in different dialects
and with different interfaces.  Sure a chimp can work a typewriter,
and yes the old chestnut about a million monkeys pumping out Halmet
might be right... or wrong...it does make a good illustration to bring
to this party.

Could it be our best course would be to build the things that build
the code, or even build the things that will then assemble themselves
to build the things to build the code?

I for one wish to extend my warmest welcome to our skynet overlords,
now can you please pay my bills , heat my house, generate enough
income to do both as well as the cooking, email/twitter/fb/irc
filtering,  cleaning and bittorrenting...thanks. I will be over here
getting busy being a post multilarity(tm) human...nanunanu.

-tom(The Multilarity(tm) will not be telvised, it will be shown on
Hulu (5 trailing episodes only))higgins