[FoRK] Programming languages, operating systems, despair and anger

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 13 14:31:50 PST 2009

--- On Fri, 11/13/09, Benjamin Black <b at b3k.us> wrote:

> > What we
> > seem to do well is the same stuff over and over in different dialects and with different interfaces.  Sure a chimp can work a typewriter, and yes the old chestnut about a million monkeys pumping out Halmet might be right... or wrong...it does make a good illustration to bring to this party.
> >

> This is only a good illustration if your point is that programming is often a very creative activity, like writing prose, and the notion that we want machines to automatically write all our code is counter to our enjoyment of it, even assuming you could build such beasts.  I don't think that is your point, but it would be mine.

If I understand the implications of the "singularity" correctly as it relates to AI or machine intelligence, would this not be one good reason to fear it?

.... Sorry if this has been chewed to death. It seems like a terribly obvious concern if someone is looking at it from different angles. But I'm way late to the party. A simple Yes or No is sufficient if the subject is too boring.

     ...ken...