[FoRK] Singularity / fear (for Ken)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 13 21:56:31 PST 2009

--- On Fri, 11/13/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure particular that fear can be productive or do
> any good, though.

Yeah, there are probably better words than fear. But I wanted to make sure I covered it all. Cannon rather than flyswatter.

> To the specific point, though, automating the "programming"
> process to ever-higher levels of abstraction is just part of
> the change curve --- one we're falling behind on, IMHO.

I hear this sort of comment so often in a variety of situations but always in a context similar to this, eg. "change". It confuses me. Falling behind what, exactly? If there is a race of some sort, who/what are we racing against?

If it's the curve itself that we're "falling behind", who cares? And why?

Is this where you think we need to have the accelerator jammed to the firewall so we can reach escape velocity before we smash headlong into the barrier of planetary carrying capacity?

> I don't think automating away the details or enabling
> ever-greater "programming in the large" (as in, determining
> what needs to be orchestrated to get something done,
> accomplished, built, some action taken, etc.) actually
> *reduces* the aesthetic or creative aspect; indeed it may
> empower it.

Similar to Tom (wrong change) Higgins' point. I'm older than Tom so I share his abhorrence of wasting all that talent and creativity and energy reinventing the same damn wheel for the gazillion-and-oneth time or even just truing it up a tiny bit.

Yes. As long as it does not eliminate the possibility of Doing at all. Someting like it. Something that allows the exercise of the relevant parts of the brain in a similar fashion. I lack effective articulation. arrrggh.... The thing that makes me feel so satisfied when I've finished the dresser and She/He who will receive it judges it Good, regardless whether I used hand or power tools.

      ...ken... (who is a power tool user but who understands the knuckle-draggers' affection for hand tools. I used both to build this. http://tinyurl.com/ye83sou)