[FoRK] Programming languages, operating systems, despair and anger

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 14 03:01:04 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 02:31:50PM -0800, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> If I understand the implications of the "singularity" correctly as it relates to AI or machine intelligence, would this not be one good reason to fear it?

There's very good reason to assume that a naturally
intelligent system has no code anybody, itself including
could understand.

We're not interested in the code, we're interested
in functionality. The whole idea of massaging text
in a text editor does only make sense if one has
been doing it for most of your conscious life.