[FoRK] Singularity / fear (for Ken)

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 10:35:56 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Fearing a technological Singularity is certainly a rational response given
> certain priors.

You think the horseshoe folks felt any love for the automated car
churning monstrosities? Damn machines did them a turn for the worse.
History of late rebounds with John Henry writ mighty mighty and
letting it all hang outish. You think newspaper men of old see the
intertubes as anything less than thieving pirate skynet evil come to
strip them of the God given right to run a daily publishing biz model.
Its evil change making boo hoo of the old guard all around.

This whole Kurzweilan HAVETOHAPPENARITY anice spinof the possible,
cautionary and wonderfully ripe with potentia...but is it any more or
less valid than any 2 Craphound podcasts? I know I know some very and
many deep thinking dinkums take the thing very very seriously and I
have realized long ago not to take the candy away from the kid unless
you have something else to offer them...I mean the whining is just
insane. So sure, there will come a day when youth will pass away,
(bippybop) what will they say about me...in the end though I know that
it was just another spin of the paradigms flow...and life goes on
without me....and by me I am meaning the me of the we being the whole
gestlaty mishmash of what we have before it all gets jumbleywumbley
with time as the generations look back on our lorez xvids and wonder
how the frak folks lived in such quaintness.

To wit, every generation has lived in some sort of "fear" of its
future whilst looking fondly back on the "fear" of past generations
for comfort...bizzare aint it.

-tom(no caffeine was harmed in the making of this post, the next one
will void that )higgins