[FoRK] Secret Math of Fly Eyes Could Overhaul Robot Vision

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 14 20:07:47 PST 2009

--- On Sat, 11/14/09, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Studying neuron reactions leads to
> directly implementable, and highly useful, mathematical
> equations.  All hail our flying droid overlords!
>

> http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1000555

Thanks for the link to the paper. Tangentially:

"A recent electrophysiological breakthrough was made showing that unlike when using sinusoidal stimuli the LPTCs of insects shown natural images robustly encoded angular velocity independently of the contrast in the scene (see Figure 3B from [36]), a characteristic not predicted by earlier models. This highlights the importance of testing biological motion detection, and models based upon it, under as ‘natural’ conditions as possible."

Too bad it's unlikely the folks building all those spiffy econometric models won't likely read this. ..... They probably wouldn't get it anyway. They are genetically averse to anything involving reality. Their kneejerk seems to be to "adjust" it out whenever it's detected.
[/sarcasm]

    ...ken...