[FoRK] And one more thing... Re: The Great Progeddit Shit-Storm of '09

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sun Nov 15 00:19:50 PST 2009

On Nov 15, 2009, at 1:34 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> I wouldn't recommend wasting any time on it, but if you're
> particularly bored and / or interesting in such things, or have the
> inclination to troll trolls:
>
>  http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/a4ava/programming_languages_operating_systems_despair/

And that, my friends, is why despite the periodic temptation (and
frequent encouragement by some of you, particularly when you've been
miffed at something I had to say) I have never given in to the urge to
set up a blog.  (Preferring instead, I'll note, to occasionally hang
out and, from time to time, even engage with you cool kids around this
here water cooler.)  And more to the point, why *even if I ever did
so, in some incredible lapse of judgment* --- it DAMN SURE would not
have comments enabled!

Not a single one of those comments, useful or otherwise --- nor the
commenters, as relates to the comments they make in those types of
fora --- have a first-class identity or existence within our little-w
web of global knowledge.  They aren't even information, and certainly
not conversation in any durably meaningful or useful way.  Comment
fora, as they are generally constructed, are *worse than useless* from
a global knowledge-engineering and web-construction perspective.  If
it doesn't have *its own* URI and *its own place in the link topology*
--- it doesn't exist in any useful sense, regardless of the content!
At least web-archived mailing lists do not suffer from this defect.

$0.02,

jb