[FoRK] The circle of life - database edition...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sun Nov 29 15:33:49 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 07:58:01PM -0800, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Because there are never enough stupid ways to reinvent the wheel so
> you can run over your own foot...
>
> http://highscalability.com/blog/2009/11/25/brian-akers-hilarious-nosql-stand-up-routine.html

I was there - that was a fun talk (and the whole thing was great.)
The satire was *very* pointed, and I'd say the point was the evergreen
"pick the right tool for the job."  The SQL vs. NoSQL panel was worth the
price of admission.

(As one of the few ops people present, I would add: when in doubt, choose
the most mature and common tool that's up to the task.  If you're gonna
hammer a nail with a screwdriver, at least use an old heavy screwdriver.)

Eugen might have liked it there - much of the interesting bits were about
eventual consistentcy and other distributed data-processing issues.