[FoRK] Google Goggles

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 9 12:56:12 PST 2009

I need to clarify my last post (below). Google Goggles is predicated on your being "there" AND having connectivity with sufficient bandwidth to make it feasible.

I get that it can be really handy if you're standing right beside something and have a good connection and can't be bothered to go inside and ask your question or ask a passerby. It's either useless or terribly inconvenient in any other situation.

Yeah, some of us travel places where there's no cellular service AT ALL, never mind no, or poor, data service. For instance, almost every place I'm likely to be interested in the answer to the question, "What sort of plant is this?", will likely be outside coverage. Same goes for many landmarks. And some of us live in regions where cellular data plans are too expensive for this sort of frivolity if you're employer is not picking up the tab. (Naturally there's a bit of sour grapes in there.)

         ...ken...