[FoRK] Stand up and face the future

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Mon Dec 21 06:18:40 PST 2009

Stephen says:

> Buddylist @ AOL in 1995-1998 handled 3-8 million simultaneous users

Mmm hmmm....  and *surely* its system architecture, including
technical architecture (mapping of the software architecture onto
hardware resources, including the underlying networking
infrastructure) could easily and linearly scale by the requisite 3
orders of magnitude necessary to handle every person on the planet.
(It couldn't, of course.  The networking infrastructure alone required
for such a centralized service didn't exist at that time, and the
solution is clearly subject to the "social supernode" problem eluded
to in the linked article.  And as I recall, such fails among other
things inspired AOL's purchase of Mirabilis, which even then continued
to have occasional outages as spikes ripped past the pace at which
they could grow system capacity...  Ding! circa the same timeframe
tackled the first problem by being entirely decentralized / peer-to-
peer, with uncoupled "servers" only serving to accomplish rendezvous
and to host presence information when a user was offline, and
otherwise leveraging the connectivity aspects of the social network
graph along with peering in order to squeeze an order or two magnitude
greater scalability (in theory) out of the system as a whole.  But
even that sort of architecture doesn't address the supernode problem,
or supernode clustering, etc....)

Now add every cell phone.  Now add in every building.  Every room in
every building.  Every light switch.  Every power outlet.  Every
appliance.  Every manufactured good --- every book, every can of cola,
every article of clothing.  Every streetlight.  Every car, bike,
train, train car, boat, plane, helicopter, etc.  Every webcam peering
into every space, public or private.  Every GPS or other localizer
embedded in or on something.  Every RFID or other smart tag.  Every
piece of paper currency.  Every box being shipped...  all moving
around relative to each other.  Push the network into everything,
yammering at everything else.  How many orders of magnitude?  How many
names / network addresses *per person on the planet?*  How many
simultaneous conversations?  How much presence data at a time?  How
much historical presence and communication data generated merely by
logging?  How to mine all that data, much less sift through it and
react to it in real time?

We can't even begin to understand the implications because, among
other things, we only have a very tentative and nascent model for even
*human*  networks at present, and that only captures static structure
rather than, particularly, dynamics.  The communication patterns
(static and dynamic) that will be common on the Internet of Things
aren't particularly well-understood or even much-studied at present.
(Robert Poor to the contrary...)

It's truly difficult to envision applications of such higher-order
scale vs. what you presently have at your disposal;  about ten years
ago one of the founders of Grande Communications, at the time of its
inception, asked me what kinds of qualitatively different killer apps
you could build if you had a gigabit / sec coming into your house...
Sadly the only thing I could come up with at the time, despite much
thought, was cloud-hosted infinite DVR and any-show any-time on-demand
hi-def television.  (And that was actually more of a storage problem
than a bandwidth / delivery problem, which realization led me down the
road toward Deepfile...)  Maybe interactive hi-def games of a
qualitatively different (but only evolutionarily so) variety.  Ugh.
Vision fail.

Forget the apps.  I'm sort of with silky on at least part of this, we
don't even have any idea what might *require* a truly planetary-scale
network.  (Well, I have a few ideas...)  To crib a phrase, in such a
case *the network is the application.*  But will it happen?  Surely,
if we don't hit some existential risk boundary first.

Scale is everything.  Two problems:  figuring out what to do with it,
and figuring out how to do it.  Not the same.  Both essential.

jb