[FoRK] A comment on Avatar

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:05:31 PST 2009

To anyone familiar with biology, the world in Avatar is unnatural, not
in the sense of being alien, but in the sense of violating how life
works. There is no evolutionary path for the kind of coordination it
depicts between species. It draws a biological order that, quite
unlike our own, would need a god or designer. Perhaps that works as
fantasy. It fails as science fiction, providing not even a hint of
explanation for it. Putting on my hat as gray-beard science educator,
I worry how many young people today won't even sense the weirdness.
Fun to watch in 3d. The kids will love it.